Monday, May 13, 2013

A Minimal Program

It's not often that I read the articles on the New York Times Op-Ed page.  And I can't remember ever recommending any such article to anyone for any reason.  But today, May 13, 2013,  I read and I recommend "How Austerity Kills" by David Stuckler and Sanjay Basau. 

I don't think I can summarize the evidence, the findings or conclusions in the article.   That would be like summarizing the findings of an investigation into conditions at Auschwitz-- and I'm not kidding.  Stuckler's and Basau's piece deserves to read, absorbed, understood in its entirety

But here are my conclusions:  Clearly, small "c" communists are not even advancing a minimal program when, where, and if, they advocate exit from the EU and even renouncing debts.  The minimal program is one that proposes international workers solidarity through the immediate dissolution of the European Union,  the liquidation of the European Central Bank, the abolition of the European Commission, termination of all economic agreements with the IMF, and expulsion of EU and IMF officials.

And it's a dead cinch certainty that the later it takes small "c" communists to announce such a minimalist program, the sooner some fascist-sentimentalist slug/goon would-be (Louis) Bonapartist/Peron wannabee (Berlusconi?  The Northern League?)will as a program for "national salvation" that will squarely target  class struggle as the primary obstacle to "national"-- that is to say corporate--unity.

S.Artesian

May 13, 2013

No comments :

Post a Comment